These sites are available for all Porter County residents and businesses to use when:
- they don’t have access to curbside recycling
- they have more recyclables that don’t fit inside their curbside recycling container
These sites accept exactly the same materials residents can place in their curbside recycling totes.
Drop-off Recycling Locations:
- Boone Grove Fire Department, 319 West 550 South, Valparaiso
- Burns Harbor Street Department, 310 Navajo Trail
- Chesterton, 1600 Pioneer Trail (Strack & VanTil)
- Hebron Municipal Building, 125 N. Main St.
- Kouts Town Garage, 406 S. Kouts. St.
- Portage, Willowcreek Middle School, 5962 Central Ave. (in front of Boys & Girls Club)
- Valparaiso, 2168 W. U.S. 30 (Strack & VanTil)
- Food & beverage cartons: milk, juice, broth, soup, etc.
- Aluminum & other metal cans
- Glass bottles & jars
- Newspapers, brochures & inserts
- File folders & office paper
- Greeting cards, regular & junk mail
- Paperboard boxes
- #1- #7 Plastic containers, excluding #6
- Corrugated cardboard, flattened
- Magazines & catalogs
- Phone books
- Leave caps on plastic and glass bottles and jars.
- Rinsing out containers is not necessary (unless you want to avoid an odor problem in your container).
Materials NOT Accepted:
- Plastic bags
- Self-stick labels, gum/candy wrappers, tissue paper, waxed paper, paper cups, paper towels, shredded paper, used paper plates, pizza boxes. No fiber soiled with food waste.
- Window glass, plate glass, dishes, ceramics, light bulbs or mirror, or Pyrex.
- Shredded paper
- Wood - No pallets or construction lumber
- Hazardous Waste - No motor oil, paint, automotive batteries, antifreeze or liquids of any kinds
- Styrofoam (packing peanuts, carry-out containers), CD/DVD cases, plastic silverware, film plastics (plastic bags, saran wrap, shrink wrap, bubble wrap), Solo cups, prescription bottles, vinyl siding, swimming pool liners or children's pools
- Scrap metal, appliances or aluminum siding, aerosol cans or aluminum foil.
- Clothing, shoes or furniture
- Vinyl siding
- Electronic waste
- Used oil containers
- Medical waste
- Yard waste
- Food waste
Whether you have curbside recycling collection from your municipality, contract with a waste hauler, or use our drop-off locations, here are the guidelines to recycling for all Porter County residents.
If you are unsure if you can recycle a particular material at the curb, please contact the District, 219-465-3694.