The Portage and Valparaiso street departments collect electronics at the curbs of their residents for recycling, a service available through their partnership with Porter County Recycling & Waste Reduction. Other waste haulers around the county will not pick up electronics from their customers; however, residents have many convenient recycling drop-off sites available to them:
- Valparaiso compost site: 2150 W. Lincolnway
Hwy 130 - 1 mile west of intersection with Joliet
- Boone Grove compost site: 546 S. 400 W
Hwy 8 to 400 West, head north to 550 South
- Portage Street Department: 2302 Hamstrom Road; call for hours and accessibility, 762-4564.
- Porter Street Department: 550 Beam Street; Monday - Friday only, 9 a.m. until 3 p.m., 926-4212.
These locations accept
- Electronics including anything with an electrical cord or batteries.
- Media: DVDs, CDs, video games, floppy disks. We no longer accept VHS, cassette tapes or anything that contains film.
- Toner/printer cartridges
These locations DO NOT accept:
- Large appliances/white goods (stoves, refrigerators, washers/dryers)
- Air conditioners
- Water softeners
- Smoke detectors
These are DROP-OFF sites. Individuals dropping off electronics for recycling are responsible for taking their items from their vehicles and placing their items into designated bins. Contact the District Office about program specifics and any applicable fees.
The state of Indiana passed legislation that went into effect Jan. 1, 2011, prohibiting households, public schools, and small businesses from mixing unwanted computer monitors, computers, televisions, printers, computer peripherals (such as keyboards and mice), DVD players, video cassette recorders or fax machines with municipal waste that is intended for disposal at a landfill or by burning or incineration.
The goal of the Indiana Department of Environmental Management is to keep computers and other electronics out of landfills through reuse, remanufacturing and recycling. For more information on the hazards of electrics and the benefits of proper disposal and recycling, visit: http://www.escrapindiana.org/
We contract with Green Wave to recycle the electronics we collect.