Earth Day Rain Barrel Design contest
REGISTRATION CLOSED: We have 35 participants!
Schools, you are invited to compete in the 2018 Rain Barrel Design Contest!
Public and private K-12 schools in Lake, Porter & LaPorte counties welcome! Limit one barrel per school.
Saturday, April 21, 2018
9 a.m.-2 p.m.
Porter County Expo Center
215 E. Division Rd., Valparaiso, IN
Teachers and schools interested in participating will get a rain barrel that they can paint or decorate with their own environmentally-friendly materials and illustrate an environmental theme.
All rain barrels in the competition will be displayed and judged between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. Saturday, April 21, by the visitors at the 2018 Northwest Indiana Earth Day Celebration at the Porter County Expo Center.
The winners will be announced at the end of the Earth Day Celebration, around 2 p.m.
Each guest entering the Celebration will receive a ticket to use to cast a vote for their favorite barrel in the competition. Awards will be given in each of two categories:
1) Elementary and
2) Middle, Intermediate and High School.
Classes or schools winning first prize will receive $150 classroom scholarships.
Second prizes will win $75 classroom scholarships, and third place will win a $25 classroom scholarship.
Schools registered so far include:
- A.K. Smith Career Center
- Andrean High School
- Area Career Center University
- Boone Grove Elementary
- Chesterton High School
- Crown Point High School
- Discovery Charter School
- Heavilin Elementary School
- Highland High School
- Hobart Middle School
- John Simatovich Elementary School
- Joseph L. Block Middle School
- Kouts Elementary School
- Lake Hills Elementary School
- Lincoln Elementary School
- Lowell High School
- Martin T Krueger Middle School
- McKinley Elementary School
- Merrillville High School
- Michigan City High School
- Montessori Academy in the Oaks
- Montessori Academy of Valparaiso
- Montessori Children's Schoolhouse
- Nativity of Our Savior School
- Notre Dame Catholic School
- Our Lady of Grace
- Portage High School
- South Haven Elementary
- St. Patrick School
- St. Paul Catholic School
- Thomas Edison Jr Sr High School
- Victory Christian Academy
- Westchester Intermediate
- Wheeler High School
- Yost Elementary School