Re-Think Art Competition & Exhibition
Inspiring everyone to appreciate the beauty of the “stuff” we discard every day.
Artists of all ages are invited to re-think their vision of art and submit works made from 100% recycled materials – reclaimed, reused, recovered, second-hand, salvaged – anything un-new!
The primary focus in a traditional art show is the visual appeal of the piece. Re-Think Art takes it a step further by including a criterion for the creativity demonstrated in transforming “stuff” into something new and original.
Categories and Online Registration:
- Adult – artists ages 19+: Register here
- Young Adult - artists ages 15 thru 18: Register here
- Youth –artists ages 6 thru 14: Register here
Awards will be announced Saturday, April 22, 2017, at 1:30 p.m. prior to the conclusion of the Earth Day Celebration.
- Juried - per category: 1st place - $200 2nd place - $30 gift cards 3rd place - $20 gift cards
- Popular completion - overall: 1st place - $50 gift cards 2nd place - $20 gift cards 3rd place - $10 gift cards
Exhibition Dates & Locations
Porter County Recycling & Waste Reduction presents a juried recycled art exhibit in conjunction with the Northwest Indiana Earth Day Celebration, April 22, 2017. Selected works will be reviewed by a juried panel prior to the Earth Day event. Selected works will be on final display for a one-day popular competition at the Porter County Expo Center on April 22 during the Earth Day Celebration, 9 a.m. till 1 p.m.
Exhibition Application Procedure
Each applicant may submit up to 3 works of art for consideration, 1 – 3 digital photos of each entry must be emailed. Digital images should be at least 400x600 pixels, with a minimum resolution of 300 dpi. Only .jpg and .jpeg file formats are accepted; each file must be less than 2 MB. Additional photos may be requested at the discretion of the jury. The District retains the right to reproduce images for its own archival records and/or to publicize and promote this competition/exhibition.
Entry fee schedule:
- Youth: $5 per artwork
- Young Adult: $5 per artwork
- Adult: $10 per artwork
Deadline for Submissions is March 31, 2017.
Entrants will be notified of acceptance into the Re-Think Art Competition and Exhibition by April 4, 2017.
Media and Submission Guidelines:
- Functional art may be considered at the discretion of the jury.
- All submitted work must be original.
- All work must be created from 100% recycled and/or scrap materials, including found and scavenged objects, with the exception of new adhesives, paint and/or hanging hardware.
- 2-D work must have attached hardware for hanging.
- 2-D work must be no wider that 4’ (four feet).
- 3-D sculptural work must be freestanding and stable, and installation ready: pedestals not provided.
- 3-D sculptural work must take up a foot print of no larger than 2’ x 2’ (two feet by two feet).
- All work submitted for inclusion in the exhibition must fit through a 31” x 80” doorway.
- Brief description (not to exceed one side of 8” x 11” paper) of approach, philosophy or aim of your work. Include in this statement why you choose the materials that would have been discarded to make art.
Sales are encouraged! If you choose to sell your artwork please indicate it on the application form. A donation of 15% of sales goes to charity of Re-Think Art Competition and Exhibition committee choice.
Delivery and Pickup
Earth Day Celebration Display - All work accepted in the exhibit must be delivered by the artist to the Porter County Expo Center on Friday, April 21 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. You must take your work at 2 p.m. Saturday, April 22, 2017, the end of the Earth Day Celebration. The District will not be held responsible for work not removed by 2 p.m. Saturday, April 22, 2017, and such abandoned work will become the property of the District.
The District, the Re-Think Art Competition and Exhibition committee, and the Porter County Expo are not responsible for any loss or damage to artwork that is submitted.
Applicants agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless the District the Re-Think Art Competition and Exhibition committee, and the Porter County Expo Center and any and all of their respective directors, officers, employees, agents and representatives from and against any and all liability, loss, costs, causes of actions, demands, attorneys’ fees, expenses, claims, suits and judgments of whatsoever kind and character, including without limitation, all possible costs or responding to demands, in whatever form that they may take, with respect to any claim made against the District the Re-Think Art Competition and Exhibition committee, and the Porter County Expo Center that arise solely from an act, failure or omission on the part of the artist or any of artist’s directors, officers, employees, agents and representatives in carrying out the terms of participation.
Applicants agree to the recording, broadcast, and/or photographing of artwork at the Re-Think Art Competition and Exhibition for public information, promotion and fundraising purposes.
Applicants agree to the use of their name, likeness and biography for the above purposes.