Buy a Rain Barrel
These barrels are food-grade containers that were once used to ship olives and pickles and were diverted from the waste stream where they could have been landfilled! During their transition, the barrels were cleaned and rinsed with PH neutral soap so that the water they collect is ultimately safe for gardens and house plants.
Not only are you practicing reuse, but you are reducing the demand for manufactured ones made from molded plastic, therefore reducing our need for petroleum, energy and other resources used in the manufacturing process.
By the way, we do not make any money off of the barrels; we merely serve a connection point to this company we have partnered with for years.
Here are some great reasons why you should use a rain barrel:
- Rain water is FREE, and who doesn't like getting something for nothing?
- Your stored rain water is great to use during times of drought and water restrictions.
- By using harvested rain water, you’ll have less strain on your well, and you’ll save energy and money.
- The chlorine in your drinking/tap water kills living organisms, making the water safe to drink. Using water from the tap also kills beneficial bacteria in your soil that your plants need.
- Water is not an infinite resource. According to the U.S. Geological Survey, approximately 2.5 percent of the Earth’s water is fresh, and 68.6 percent of it is locked up in glaciers, 30.1 percent is located in the groundwater table, and 1.3 percent can be found in lakes and rivers. Using rain barrels helps to conserve this natural resource.
- Environmental experts and sewer officials agree that any reduction of rain water flowing into storm sewers is a good thing for neighborhoods and the environment.
- You'll be a role model to your kids!