Compost Sites

Home / Compost Sites


* Two public access compost site locations:

Valparaiso Compost Site, 2150 W. Lincolnway (Hwy. 130 – 1 mile west of intersection with Joliet)

  • Owned and managed by the City of Valparaiso with operational assistance by Porter County Recycling & Waste Reduction. Loading handled by City of Valparaiso. Visit their website for further details. 
  • Through Dec. 7, 2019 -- Mondays through Fridays, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.; Saturdays, 9 a.m.–4 p.m.
  • Click here for map.

Boone Grove Compost Site, 546 South 400 West (Hwy. 8 to 400 West, head north to 550 South)

  • Click here for map.
  • Through Dec. 7, 2019 -- Mondays through Fridays, Noon–5 p.m.; Saturdays, 9 a.m.–4 p.m.

2019 holiday compost site closings

  • Saturday-Monday, May 25-27, Memorial Day Holiday Weekend
  • Thursday, July 4, Independence Day
  • Saturday-Monday, Aug. 31-Sept. 2, Labor Day Holiday Weekend
  • Thursday, Nov. 28, Thanksgiving (Valpo site); Thursday, Nov. 28-Sunday, Nov. 30 (Boone Grove site)

* Portage Streets & Sanitation Dept., 2303 Hamstrom Rd. 

Our partnership with the City of Portage allows all Porter County residents to drop off and pick up available organic material. Certain restrictions apply. 

  • Mondays - Fridays, 7 a.m.-3 p.m.
    • Porter County residents only (no businesses)
    • No grass from non-city residents
    • No dump trucks
    • Contact City of Portage for loading information, 762-4564 or  
Porter County residents, you can do a lot of things at the compost sites:
  1. Drop off your organic yard waste.
  2. Pick up mulch and compost for your gardening needs. Firewood also available. Learn more about available materials.  
  3. Bring a number of household items in for recycling.
  4. Pick up a book to learn backyard composting. Just ask the attendant for a copy of Home Composting Made Easy. You can also visit this website for information, which is based on the book! 

It's easy, and it's free for all Porter County residents.

Non-residents, limitations and fees may apply, so please call. Only checks will be accepted for payment at the compost sites; absolutely no cash accepted. Contractors and landscapers, click here

Drop off (Out-of-county residents, fees apply)

Most of your yard waste CAN be recycled into compost or wood chips, so why throw it out with your trash? Drop off your yard/garden waste:

  • leaves
  • straw (not hay)
  • garden and household plants
  • limbs, logs, firewood, brush, branches; no longer than 6 ft. and no bigger than 12 inches in diameter
  • once live holiday home decorations, including pumpkins, corn, gourds, mums and Christmas trees
  • dirt, sod (Only at Valpo compost site; 1/2 cubic yard or less from households only. Accepted at the discretion of the site attendants.)
  • Grass clippings accepted from all Porter County residents at the Boone Grove compost site; only residents within the city limits of Valparaiso with a Grass Pass issued by Valpo Public Works may bring grass clippings to the Valparaiso compost site. Only Portage residents may bring grass clippings to the Portage Street Department. We recommend grasscycling, which means leaving your cut grass on the lawn to decompose and nourish your lawn. 

If it is not listed above, we do not accept it. 

Drop off notes: 

  • Plastic bags and other such containers must be removed from site by residents.
  • No treated wood or lumber of any kind is accepted at any site.
  • Only small root balls with minimal dirt accepted. 

Pick up 

  • Take as much compost and mulch as you want  (We test our compost. Find out the results.)
    • Bring your own buckets and shovels and self load.
    • Available free to Porter County residents while supplies last. Call the district to find out availability, 465-3694.
    • Mulch and compost loading is available for Porter County residents. More info
  • Pick up free firewood
    • No power tools can be brought or operated onsite.
    • Bring your own trucks and self load.
    • Available free to Porter County residents while supplies last.

Additional recycling:

  • Household batteries
  • Old electronics (computers, televisions, cell phones anything with an electrical cord or run by batteries!)
  • Fluorescent light bulbs (tubes and CFLs) (not accepted at Portage Street Department)
  • LED light bulbs (not accepted at Portage Street Department)
  • Toner cartridges
  • Old media (CDs, DVDs, etc. No longer accepting media with film, such as VHS and cassette tapes.) 
  • Smoke detectors (not accepted at Portage Street Department)