Businesses such as landscape contractors that want to use the Valparaiso, Portage or Boone Grove compost sites on a regular basis must first register with Porter County Recycling & Waste Reduction. Each registered business will receive up to five ID cards, free of charge.
To register, please download and complete the form and return to Porter County Recycling, either by mail, fax, or email.
Porter County Recycling
155 Indiana Avenue, Suite 314
Valparaiso, IN 46383
Guidelines for Using the Compost Sites
- ID cards must be shown to the attendant to gain entrance to the compost sites.
- All contractor personnel are required to provide a valid driver’s license and a contractor business card with a phone number and address along with their ID cards. Each transaction will require all contractor personnel to print their names on the invoice as well as their signatures.
- The only material accepted is organic waste such as leaves, garden clippings, garden and household plants, brush, limbs, and logs no longer than 6 feet in length and no bigger than 36 inches in diameter.
- All material must be emptied from plastic bags or containers at the sites, and the plastic bags or containers must be removed from the site.
- Grass is accepted at the Boone Grove site ONLY. Any grass taken to the Valparaiso site will not be allowed to be deposited.
- Absolutely no treated wood or lumber of any kind are accepted at either site.
- We do not accept root balls.
- Sites close during severe weather.
- Absolutely no tools other than shovels and rakes allowed on the premises.
Billing is completed monthly. Anyone who has not paid or made arrangements for payments within 30 days of the date on the monthly bill will not be allowed to use the compost sites until payment or arrangements are made. Late fees may be assessed at the greater of $5 or 1.5% of the balance due on the monthly statement from the district if payment is not received within 30 days of statement date. Any costs of collection, including filing fees and attorney fees will be assessed to the company if payment is not received within 60 days of the monthly statement.