Drop-Off Recycling

Home / Drop-Off Recycling

Drop-off Recycling:

These sites are available for all Porter County residents and businesses to use when:

  • they don’t have access to curbside recycling
  • they have more recyclables that don’t fit inside their curbside recycling container

These sites accept exactly the same materials residents can place in their curbside recycling totes. 

Drop-off Recycling Locations:

  • Boone Grove Fire Department, 319 West 550 South, Valparaiso
  • Burns Harbor Street Department, 310 Navajo Trail
  • Chesterton, 1600 Pioneer Trail (Strack & VanTil)
  • Hebron Municipal Building, 125 N. Main St.
  • Kouts Town Garage, 406 S. Kouts. St.
  • Valparaiso, 2168 W. U.S. 30 (Strack & VanTil)

What materials can I place in these drop-off containers or in my curbside recycling totes?

Paper and cardboard
Newspapers, catalogs, phone books, paperback books, file folders, office paper, envelopes, junk mail, glossy paper, magazines, wrapping paper (most of it -- see below), flattened cardboard boxes, and paperboard boxes, such as cereal, tissue, frozen food boxes. Hard cover book pages can be recycled, but the hard cover must be thrown in the trash.

Not accepted: Self-stick labels, shredded paper, used paper plates, tissue paper, gum/candy wrappers, paper cups, paper towels, greasy pizza boxes, shiny “foil” type wrapping paper, wet or soiled cardboard.

Glass bottles and jars
Accepted: Clear and colored glass containers. Containers should be empty, lightly rinsed and labels can be left on.

Not accepted: Flat glass, window panes, mirrors, light bulbs, flatware, ceramics or Pyrex. 

Aluminum, tin and other metal cans
Accepted: Pop cans, soup cans, coffee cans, aluminum trays and pie tins, etc. Cans should be empty and lightly rinsed. Leave labels on.

Not accepted: Aerosol cans and aluminum foil.

Accepted: Bottles, tubs, containers and trays (black trays that your food comes in must be placed in your garbage as the machines have a hard time sorting them). Nothing larger than 5 gallon buckets. Lightly rinse and place in bins with lids on. Takeout (non-styrofoam) or reusable containers are also ok to recycle. 

Not accepted: Large storage bins, black food trays, bubble wrap, plastic wrap, plastic bags, drink pouches, snack bags, hoses, plastic silverware, straws, plastic packaging, CD/DVD cases, Solo cups, prescription bottles, motor oil containers, clothes hangers, vinyl siding, and anything made of Styrofoam or polystyrene. 

Accepted: Milk, juice, soup, broth, juice boxes (without the straw) and other beverage cartons. Lightly rinse and leave caps on. Also accepted cardboard egg cartons. 

Not accepted: Ice cream cartons, foam egg cartons.

The types of materials accepted can change at any time depending on the markets. Questions on the types of accepted materials can be directed to the District.

Other materials NOT Accepted:

  • Mattresses
  • Wood - No pallets or construction lumber
  • Hazardous Waste - No motor oil, paint, automotive batteries, antifreeze or liquids of any kinds
  • Scrap metal, appliances or aluminum siding, aerosol cans or aluminum foil.
  • Clothing, shoes or furniture
  • Tires
  • Electronic waste
  • Used oil containers
  • Medical waste
  • Yard waste
  • Trash
  • Food waste

Whether you have curbside recycling collection from your municipality, contract with a waste hauler, or use our drop-off locations, here are the guidelines to recycling for all Porter County residents.

If you are unsure if you can recycle a particular material at the curb, please contact the District, 219-465-3694.