Fluorescent Bulb Recycling:
We offer regular and convenient collection and recycling of fluorescent light bulbs.
Bring old unbroken fluorescent bulbs (CFLs) or tubes to:
- Valparaiso and Boone Grove compost sites during operation hours.
- Porter Street Department: 550 Beam Street; Monday - Friday only, 9 a.m. until 3 p.m., 926-4212
- Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
Compact fluorescent light bulbs are more energy efficient than their incandescent cousins. However, fluorescent bulbs and tubes contain mercury. If the bulb package says "mercury" or "Hg" (the abbreviation for "hydrargyrum," which is the Latin name for mercury), the bulbs contain mercury and should NOT be mixed with regular household trash when discarded.
To safely transport and drop off the bulbs, please place unbroken CFLs in plastic bags. To carefully transport tube bulbs, tape them together or place in packaging of your replacement bulbs.
Fluorescent light ballasts without PCBs can be brought to our electronics recycling drop-off sites for proper disposal. Ballasts with PCBs should be brought to our household hazardous waste collection events.
- For more information about compact fluorescent bulbs and mercury, visit www.energystar.gov
- The Shoppers Guide to Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs at www.ewg.org/research/shoppers-guide-compact-fluorescent-light-bulbs
- Instructions for when a CFL bulb breaks: www2.epa.gov/cfl/cleaning-broken-cfl