Household Battery Drop Sites:
You can recycle household batteries, but not curbside. We offer dozens of battery bucket locations throughout Porter County where you can drop off all of your household batteries. Your batteries can also be brought to any of our Household Hazardous Waste collection events, where we also accept automobile (lead-acid) batteries!
In 2018, Porter County residents recycled 22,150.63 lbs. of batteries through this program.
Accessibility to any of these locations may be limited to hours of operation and are dependent on the battery bucket's registrant.
Locations with an "*", while public buildings, may not be easily accessible to the general public due to security.
- Beverly Shores Town Hall, 500 S. Broadway
- Chesterton High School, 2125 S. 11th St. *
- Discovery Charter School, 800 Canonie Dr. *
- Chesterton Fire Dept., 702 Broadway
- Duneland Resale, 801 Broadway
- Duneland Schools Instructional Materials Center, 601 W. Morgan Ave., Suite 1 *
- Hopkins Ace Hardware, 325 S. Calumet Rd.
- Jewel, 747 Indian Boundary Rd.
- St. Patrick Catholic School, 640 N Calumet Rd. *
- Dune Acres Town Hall, One East Road
- EMS Station #3, Rt. 8 *
- Hebron Elementary School, 307 S Main St.*
- Hebron Middle, 307 South Main St.*
- Hebron High, 509 S Main St.*
- Hebron True Value, 826 Country Square
- Netnitco/warehouse, 2005 N Washington St.
- Kouts Elementary School, 302 E College Ave.*
- Kouts Middle-High School, 302 E College Ave.*
- Kouts Town Hall, 406 South Kouts St.
- Kouts True Value, 204 S. Main St.
- Ogden Dunes Town Hall, 115 Hillcrest Rd.
- Ace Hardware, 5979 Central Ave.
- Aylesworth Elementary School, 5910 Central Ave.*
- Crisman Elementary School, 6161 Old Porter Rd.*
- Dunes Electronic, 60 Stagecoach Rd.
- Fire Station 1, 3401 Swanson Rd.
- Kyle Elementary School, Hamstrom Rd.
- Portage City Hall, 6070 Central Ave.
- Portage Police Dept., 6260 Central Ave.
- Portage Street Dept., 2302 Hamstrom Rd.
- Willowcreek Middle School, 5962 Central Ave.*
- Porter Street Department, 550 Beam St.
- South Haven Elementary School, 3995 Midway Dr.*
- South Haven Fire Dept., 398 W. 700 N.
- 1st Christian Church, 1507 Glendale
- Ben Franklin Middle School, 605 N Campbell St.*
- Boone Grove compost site, 546 S. 400 W.
- Centers for Hearing, 1653 Thornapple Cir.
- Central Elementary School, 305 Franklin St.*
- Ear, Nose, Throat & Sinus Ctr., 2802 Leonard Dr.
- IDEM Northwest Regional Office, 330 W. US 30, Suites E & F
- Immanuel Lutheran School, 1700 Monticello Park Dr.*
- Philips Ace Hardware, Cumberland Crossing Plaza, 3100 Calumet Ave.
- Porter County Administration Center, 155 Indiana Ave.
- Porter County Career & Tech Center, 1005 Franklin St. *
- Porter County Hwy Dept., 1955 S. State Rd. 2
- Porter County Sheriff's Dept., 2755 South State Road 49
- St. Teresa of Avila, 1511 Laporte Ave.
- Valparaiso Compost Site (Hwy 130), 2150 W. Lincolnway
- Valparaiso Lakes Conservancy District, 1805 Burlington Beach Rd.
- Valparaiso Police Dept., 355 Washington St.
- Valparaiso Public Works, 1855 Joliet Rd.
- Valparaiso University Police Department, 16 Indiana Ave.
- Wal-mart Super Center(US 30), 2400 Morthland Dr.
- John Simatovich Elementary School, 424 W. 500 N.*
- Union Twp. Elementary School, 272 N. 600 W.*
- Union Twp. Middle School, 599 W. 300 N.*
- Wheeler High School, 587 W. 300 N.*
- Washington Twp. Elementary School, 383 East State Road 2 *