Donate Usable Paint to the City of Hobart
We partner with the City of Hobart to offer area residents the opportunity to recycle their unwanted but USABLE latex paint. Take your USABLE paint directly to the City of Hobart facility during normal business hours. Please make sure that your paint can be recycled using the guidelines below.
Acceptable Latex Paint
- Gallon cans more than half full
- Obvious sloshing sound of liquid inside
- Lid properly secured
- Cans not corroded or rusty
Unacceptable Latex Paint
- Cans are smaller than one gallon
- Gallon cans are less than half full
- Cans are corroded or rusty
- Rattle noises heard when shaken
- Paint sitting longer than one year
- Paint was stored in unheated areas, like garages or sheds, over winter or paint that was obviously frozen
Safely Dispose of Latex Paint In Curbside Trash
Latex paint can be safely disposed in the trash when the paint is dried, and the lid remains off and is separately thrown away.
Helpful Tips to Dry Out Latex Paint:
- If the cans are less than half full; leave the lids off and let them air dry.
- If the cans are mostly full, you may need to pour some of the paint into another container to decrease drying time.
- To expedite the drying process, stir in non-clumping cat litter, dirt, or inexpensive paint drying products that you can purchase from hardware stores.
Looking to Purchase Recycled Latex Paint?
Area residents can purchase recycled latex paint from the City of Hobart for just $5 per gallon. Recycled paint is FREE for non-profits and government organizations. The paint color is putty or grey-beige, a great neutral for any paint project, inside or outside. Check out the Portage Township Y’s use of recycled latex paint.
Your eco-conscious purchase of recycled latex paint from Hobart’s Paint Recycling program helps keep paint cans out of landfills and decreases the demand for manufactured new paint, reducing energy and resource consumption.