Special Event Recycling
Special Event Recycling:
Special events create a lot of waste, but you can make a difference in the environment by providing beverage can/bottle recycling opportunities. Your guests want to recycle, and we can help!
Collecting recyclables at events is simple and easy. The Recycling & Waste Reduction District of Porter County loans out ClearStream and Recycle Clear collection containers FOR FREE to anyone organizing an event in Porter County.
Event containers are perfect for
- block parties,
- church bazaars,
- graduation parties,
- sporting events, etc.
Guidelines to our loan program:
- To confirm availability of recycling containers and to aid in promotion of recycling at events, pre-registration at least one week prior to an event by contacting Dawn at the District, 219-465-3695 or email Dawn Garmon.
- Next, complete and submit a reservation form.
- We can help you advertise your public event by placing it on our Facebook page and/or website. To take advantage of this opportunity, reservation for containers should be done at least two weeks in advance.
- Your event staff or volunteers are responsible for working with a waste hauler to coordinate the collection of recyclables after the event. You may also bring your recyclables to any of our recycling drop off locations. Please empty the contents of the plastic bags into the recycling drop-off containers or your totes and either throw away the bags or recycle them using this website. Plastic bags mixed in with recyclables cause contamination and wrap around and damage sorting machinery.
- Your event staff is responsible for pickup and drop off of all recycling container equipment.
- Pickup of recycling collection containers must be during weekday hours at least one day prior to the event, and drop off of equipment must be during weekday hours within two days after event.
- All equipment must be returned in the same manner in which it is received.
- A $20/hour cleaning fee will be applied if District personnel are required to clean containers.
- If the containers are damaged beyond use or stolen while on loan, there will be a charge to you for replacement costs.
After your event:
- Move the remaining recyclable material to the central recycling collection point/container and take down borrowed recycling containers.
- Wipe down frames and lids.
- Return recycling containers to District.
How to Promote Recycling At Your Event
- Pre- and post- event literature and press releases featuring the recycling program as well as pictures of the recycling containers.
- Reminders to recycle during the event over the P.A. system.
- Banners and informative signs.
- Include information about recycling at the event in publications, programs, ads, etc.
- Invite patrons to share their pictures or take your own pictures, report your success, submit to local papers to build recognition for your organization and its recycling program.