Special Event Recycling
In 2018, event coordinators using this program collected and recycled a total of 8,260 gallons of beverage containers (measured using 40 gallon clear plastic bags).
Thanks to all who participated in 2018:
- Master Gardeners 15th Annual Gardening Show
- Kankakee Valley REMC Annual Meeting
- Rebuilding Together Duneland 2018
- End of Year Bash/Dance-Saylor PSO
- Ogden Dunes Memorial Day Event
- Field Station 5K Frenzy & Fun Run
- Relay For Life of Portage
- Firecracker 5K/Franciscan Health Fitness Center
- Cooking Camp
- Nature Palooza
- United Way Family Fun & Field Day
- Lightning Bug Music Fest
- Chesterton Art Fair
- HealthLink Fair
- Aukiki River Festival
- Summer Sunset Bash
- Popcorn Fest
- Court of Honor Boy Scouts #908
- Opportunity Enterprises-Packathon 2018
- World Culture Festival Valparaiso International Center
- Art Blitz Art Barn School of Art
- German Fest
- Fall Fest-Discovery Charter School
- Turkey Trot
- And many private events including graduation open houses and weddings.
Special Event Recycling:
We offer special event coordinators in Porter County a free service to help collect the large amounts of recyclables their events can create. We loan out ClearStream and Recycle Clear collection containers to anyone planning special events in Porter County: churches, schools, towns, families, businesses, non-profits.
Guests want to recycle, and you can help them! No event too small! Collecting recyclables at events is simple and easy.
Event containers are perfect for
- block parties,
- church bazaars,
- graduation parties,
- family reunions,
- sports games and tournaments, etc.
OR perhaps buy your own
Guidelines to our loan program:
- To confirm availability of recycling containers and to aid in promotion of recycling at events, pre-register at least two weeks prior to an event by contacting Dawn at the District, 219-465-3695 or email Dawn Garmon.
- Next, complete and submit a reservation form.
- We will help you advertise your public event by placing it on our Facebook page and/or website.
- Your event staff or volunteers are responsible for working with a waste hauler to coordinate the collection of recyclables after the event. You may also bring your recyclables to any of our recycling drop off locations. Please empty the contents of the plastic bags into the recycling drop-off containers or your curbside totes and either throw away the bags or bring them back to us for proper recycling. Plastic bags mixed in with recyclables cause contamination and wrap around and damage sorting machinery.
- Your event staff is responsible for pickup and drop-off of all recycling container equipment.
- Pickup of recycling collection containers must be during weekday hours at least one day prior to the event, and drop-off of equipment must be during weekday hours within two days after event. Pickups and drop-offs must be scheduled with the district program coordinator.
- All equipment must be returned in the same manner in which it is received.
- A $20/hour cleaning fee will be applied if District personnel are required to clean containers.
- If the containers are damaged beyond use or stolen while on loan, there will be a charge to you for replacement costs.
- Download and print these "Guidelines for Successful Recycling at Your Event" for reference.
After your event:
- Move the remaining recyclable material to the central recycling collection point/container and take down borrowed recycling containers.
- Wipe down frames and lids.
- Return recycling containers to District.
How to Promote Recycling At Your Event
- Pre- and post- event literature and press releases featuring the recycling program as well as pictures of the recycling containers.
- Reminders to recycle during the event over the P.A. system.
- Banners and informative signs.
- Include information about recycling at the event in publications, programs, ads, etc.
- Invite patrons to share their pictures or take your own pictures, report your success, submit to local papers to build recognition for your organization and its recycling program.